When: Friday, September 17th at 7pm (yeah, we know, it’s not the 2nd Friday. Bear with us ;-))
Where: Meet at the block of Pacific closed to cars (between Cathcart and Lincoln). It’s even official n stuff, thanks to the MAH and Downtown SC.
Hey Bike Partiers, time to dust off the old party-mobile and shine up your party bike-shoes, because Santa Cruz Bike Party is back! We are excited to join forces with The MAH’s Frequency Festival and Downtown Santa Cruz to bring to you an 80’s themed bike ride. Bring costumes, twinkly lights, side ponytails, neon or just your awesome self and your bike. Oh, it’s FREE! We’ll do a shorter loop for folks with younger kids, and then head out to the West Side on the new rail trail. Route map will be posted the week of the ride.Please note: this ride meets on Pacific Ave between Cathcart and Lincoln St in the section of road closed to cars and open for fun.
Fun times will be had by all. Participants ride at their own risk.
While we have your attention, a few important notes:
1. Santa Cruz Bike Party needs more leaders. For all these years, it’s been organized almost entirely by just two people, who aren’t able to give as much now as they used to. If you want to see SC Bike Party stay around, please consider volunteering. It isn’t a big time commitment, but the crucial thing is being regular and reliable. FB message us or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
2. If you are not vaccinated against COVID-19, you MUST wear a mask, covering your entire nose and mouth. Although outdoor transmission is rare, an event like this keeps us in close quarters, and breathing hard as we ride. Therefore, there is some risk, and so we ask that you take this request seriously. If you come unvaccinated and unmasked, may the wind be always in your face, and your tires ever-flat.
Santa Cruz Bike Party is a mobile party for riders of all ages, experience levels, and types to meet, ride, and play together in the streets. Rides are 7-10 miles long with music and dance breaks along the way. Rides move at a relatively slow pace and no one is left behind. Each ride has a theme and riders are encouraged to wear costumes or decorate their bikes to fit the theme.
SC Bike Party starts and ends outside the Bike Church at 703 Pacific Ave downtown. The route is not the same every time, but each month organizers will post the route online ahead of time in case anyone misses the start and wants to catch up.
Once per month, all year long. We meet at 7pm every second Friday (except for this one) of the month. Rides usually leave about 7:15 and last about 2 hours.
The atmosphere of the SC Bike Party is fun, friendly, welcoming, and safe. Our goal is to celebrate cycling and build community, not to cause conflict with car drivers. Please help us maintain a positive and safe atmosphere by keeping in mind the following guidelines:
– Stay to the Right / Stop at Lights – This is not Critical Mass. Please stay to the right on 2-lane roads, or in the right lane on larger roads.– Ride Straight – Please help avoid crashes by riding predictably, without any sudden turns or stops.
– Don’t Hate – Please roll past any conflict that might present itself during the ride.
– Pack your Trash – Bike partiers aspire to leave party stops in better condition than we found them.
– Don’t Get Smashed – Riding while inebriated poses a danger to yourself and others. Don’t ruin the fun for everyone else by overdoing it.BringLights – Rides are at night, so let’s make sure to be visible.
Locks – No bikes have been stolen from the SC Bike Party, but during breaks better to be safe than sorry.
Layers – As we all know Santa Cruz evenings can get damp and chilly.
Water, snacks – Our stops are not always near stores, so best to bring what you need.
Tube, patch kit, pump, tools – The ride is unsupported; please come prepared.
No Comments Yet